Phyco spectrum is specializing in Algae based Research & projects relating to Industrial Effluents Treatment, Municipal Sewage Treatment, Wastewater Treatment, Algal Biomass Utilization and CO2 & NOx Mitigation by its Phycoremediation Techniques. R&D Objective
- to conduct basic and applied research in the field of Algal Technology
- to impart scientific knowledge in the field of Algal Ecology & Physiology and Algal Biotechnology to Researchers
- to carry on basic and applied research relating to Industrial Effluents Treatment, Municipal Sewage Treatment, Wastewater Treatment, utilization of algal biomass and CO2 & NOx Mitigation.
- to carry forward the findings of applied research to the benefit of the community
Thrust Areas of Consultancy
- Bioremediation of Industrial Effluents, Municipal Sewage, Wastewater and CO2 Mitigation in relation to Carbon Credits & NOx Mitigation.
- Remediation and improvement of quality of Drinking and Recreational Waters
- Consultation for the utilization of Industrial Effluents Sludge & Municipal Sewage Sludge for the production of Biomethane.
- Consultation for the utilization of Algae Biomass for applications in Agriculture as Fertilizers, in Aquaculture as Fish-feed, as Pigments for Industrial Applications and as ingredients for Nutraceutical & Pharmaceutical Applications.
In today's highly polluted environment, a number of remediation methods are being employed to reduce the ill effects of pollution. Most of the Industries traditionally treat their effluents by chemical methods which are not only expensive but create toxic solid wastes in turn and it becomes difficult to dispose them.Phyco spectrum aims at providing a specialized method of Bioremediation called Phycoremediation, a technique employing algae, to treat industrial effluents and waste water. This new technology is not only safe and eco-friendly but it eliminates the accumulation of solid waste unlike in the chemical treatment. It is quite economical and at the same time oxygenates the environment by photosynthesis, hence CO2 mitigation. This methodology is quite useful in the removal of toxic waste including heavy metals, pesticide residues and other toxic chemicals.
Phyco spectrum is gearing up all its resources to become a Global Leader in the application of Phycoremediation Technologies in treating the effluents from the following:
- Dairy Farms
- Fish Farms
- Sugar Mills
- Paper Mills
- Food Processing
- Chemical Units
- Dyeing Industries
- Domestic Sewage
Benefits of Phycoremediation
The following are the benefits of Phycoremediation:
- Phycoremediation is a cost- effective, ecofriendly and a safe process.
- The micro algae employed are non-pathogenic photosynthetic organisms and they do not produce any toxic substances.
- Phycoremediation effectively reduces nutrient load thereby reducing TDS.
- Phycoremediation reduces sludge formation to a very large extent.
- Phycoremediation increases dissolved oxygen levels thorough photosynthetic activity.
- Phycoremediation keeps bacterial population under control.
- Algal growth in the effluent also removes waste CO2 from air there by contributing to the reduction of green house gases.
- The algal biomass has high nutrient value and can be suitable as a live feed for aquaculture.
- The algal biomass could also be used as a Bio-fertilizer and in EM (Effective Microbes) preparations.
- Conventional chemical treatment of effluents results in concentrating the toxic waste in the form of sludge and requires landfill. Whereas phycoremediation detoxifies and removes it for ever
- Minimal odour compared to conventional methods of treatment.
- Simple operation and maintenance
- Construction and Operation Costs are typically less than half those of mechanical treatment plants (e.g. activated sludge, sequencing batch reactors)
- Sustainable treatment solution with significant potential for energy and nutrient recovery