Effective treatment of MSW leachate First of its kind green and cost effective treatment and Zero Liquid Discharge solution developed for Municipal Solid Waste
Overview of the Company:
- Ramky Enviro Engineers Ltd belongs to the Ramky Group which is a very prestigious and diversified group in the segments of Real Estate, Energy, Environment and REEL is mainly in the business of handling and managing Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) and Industrial Solid Waste (ISW).
- REEL is one of the top companies in India in the management of Solid waste and they have much solid waste management plant across India and it is a Leader Company in the field of Solid waste management industry in India.
Inlet Effluent Detail:
- pH : Between 5 to 8.5
- COD : Between 24000 to 41000 ppm
- TDS : Between 4700 to 46000 ppm
Objective of Treatment:
- To neutralize pH without addition of any chemical
- To reduce the TDS sludge generation
- To evaporate the effluent and provide the Zero Liquid Treatment solution
Before Applying the Technology: The client has many MSW treatment plants in India. As a process of treatment of MSW, it generates huge quantity of solid waste Leachate. This Leachate is very complex effluent and it is quite difficult to treat, with a very high TDS and high COD. So the only option is to evaporate it. Because of the complexity of the effluent, mechanical evaporator can’t work properly. So the client used to evaporate it through Solar evaporation Ponds which required huge land. Also they end up with large quantities of TDS sludge. After Setting up a Pilot Plant: To treat the solid waste Leachate and evaporate the effluent, we have set up a 0.5 KLD pilot plant at site to provide the Zero Liquid Discharge solution. After running the pilot plant for about 2 months, we have found following results.
- pH :
- The pH of MSW Leachate which was coming out from the plant was ranging from 4.5 to 7. We used to directly take that Leachate in the Algae reaction tank for treatment.
- The next day (after app 24 hours), the pH of the tank comes to between 7 to 8.
- Over the period of 2 months time , we have collected the data and the pH was neutralizing automatically without addition of any Chemicals.
2. TDS Sludge Reduction
- The MSW Leachate contains both organic as well as inorganic TDS.
- The TDS value of Leachate which we were taking in to the Micro Algae Pilot Plant was varying from 4700 ppm to as high as 48000 ppm. On daily basis, the fluctuations in the TDS values were very high.
- As the pilot plant was ZLD plant and no liquid was coming out from the plant, the TDS should be accumulating in the system.
- But due to micro Algae Technology, we have found that the salt has eliminated from the effluent and approximately 70% TDS sludge has been removed.
- In full scale plant, we will harvest Algae Micro Algae biomass which can be processed and used for various applications.
3. COD Reduction
- The MSW Leachate contains high amount of COD in the range of 20000 ppm to 30000 ppm.
- As this pilot plant was ZLD pilot plant and there was no any discharge, the COD of the effluent should accumulate.
- The theoretical value of accumulated COD should be app 32000 ppm in the tank but due to Micro Algae intervention, we are able to reduce the COD load by app 70%.